Life verse

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my
power is made perfect in weakness"
... For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Packing. Packing. And more packing.

One word, three times. Enough said.

Next to the whole idea of flying or no chocolate for the duration of the trip (because chocolate melts in Haiti), this has definitely been one of my greatest concerns.

For years, my dad has smiled and chuckled to himself at the start of every family vacation. Consequently, I am very familiar with comments such as “Did you remember the kitchen sink?” or “Are you going on the same trip as we are? I thought it was only for a week?” But before I sell myself too short here, let me take a moment to explain.

Even on vacation, I love to be “doing” things. Sometimes this might just be reading a book. Other times, it could be playing a game with the family, scrapbooking, making hemp jewelry… the list goes on. Simply put, those things take up space. I am not known for underpacking.

At one of the team meetings, each of us was given a sheet outlining the quantity, size, and weight limits for our bags. This translates into: all of our personal belongings have to be packed in two carry ones: one is a bag whose length, width, and height (all added together) don’t exceed 45 inches. The other is a backpack. Technically, we’re each also allowed two checked bags; however, those are filled with supplies for Haiti, so we don’t get to use that space.

At that same meeting, we were each also given a packing list for the trip. So, after multiple trips to Goodwill to search for skirts and shirts with sleeves (which will all be left there, since the Haitians need them more than we do) and hours scouring the travel size aisles at Walmart and Target, I had basically everything on the suggested list. And by “had,” I really mean that it was all in grocery bags covering the floor of my closet.

Alright, enough background. So this morning at 9ish, the team gathered at New Covenant to pack our duffel bags (these will be our two checked bags) with almost a wide variety of supplies – things ranging from notebooks and construction paper to backpacks and markers, from Frisbees and soccer balls to medicines and Bandaids. As we spread out through the bottom floor of the church, you could feel the excitement and anticipation rising. We’re all just so thrilled for what’s coming!

The piles of supplies only lasted about an hour and a half before they had all been successfully crammed into one of twenty-four rolling duffel bags, listed on the inventory sheet for its respective bag, and weighed to ensure that the bag did not exceed the 50lb limit imposed by the airline.



















And with that mission successfully accomplished, I set to packing my carry on luggage - which is where the real fun began.

With too many different items to name, I think I’ll just highlight a few of my favorites and let the picture speak for itself (it IS equal to like 1,000 words or something, right?)

- Bible, devotional, journal, and iPod: lifelines for the trip
- Mr. Reindeer: I’ve had him since I was one, and yes, he really is coming
- 4 pairs of shirts and skirts: The trip is actually 9 days, but due to limited space, we will be attempting to wash and re-wear… multiple times.
*Also of note: they say don’t worry about matching in Haiti… well, Miss OCD here is matching.
- Plastic grocery bags: because we can’t flush toilet paper down the toilets there, it messes up the plumbing. I promise I’m not making this up.
- Peanut butter crackers and cereal bars: I hear
that we’re going to live off of these at night.
- Fuzzy blanket: because I’m always cold. We’ll see if this changes when we get to Haiti.
- 300+ Silly Bands: for the kids.

And, drum roll please... it all fit!!

It’s actually quite amazing how much you can cram into a mini-sized suitcase and backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment