Life verse

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my
power is made perfect in weakness"
... For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

“Kanna. Kanna. Poule.”

Or in other words “Duck. Duck. Chicken.” Just one of the highlights of my journey through Haiti. Before I jump to today, though, here are a few highlights from yesterday:

…all our luggage safely arrived in Port au Prince!! Granted, we had to wait about an hour for it at the airport. But still, huge answered prayer!

…the journey from the airport to Cambry (Cayes) was one unlike any other. I think it took us about 5 hours. (Hey, and Mom, our driver had nothing on Dad’s 90/20/90/20 through the mountains).

…after dinner last night, SLEEP. I have deduced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our bodies were definitely made requiring more than 7 hours over sleep per 60 hour time frame.

This morning, refreshed and after a delicious breakfast of bananas, eggs, and bread with peanut butter (apparently here, everything is spread with peanut butter), we jumped on the bus and left for Chantal. On the way, we had to stop and get the lumber for building desks.

Perhaps I should have suspected something about Haiti from yesterday’s experience at the airport, but apparently the saying in Haiti is “Hurry up and wait.” That said, the stop for the wood was not very short. After the Haitian men had loaded over half of it into the bus, Dad realized that instead of 16’ boards, they were only 14’. And thus began the un- and re-loading… this time with the correct dimensions.

The church and school at Chantal is like nothing I’ve ever seen. The kids were waiting for us when we got there, and as we entered, we were greeted by some of the loudest clapping, most beautiful singing, and widest grins on this planet. Let me assure you – our attempt at a Haitian song was much less impressive!!

After Greg taught the Bible story through our interpreter, Barbara, we took the kids outside to play. Soccer. Chase. Frisbee. Jump rope. You name it. Rachel and I (again with the help of Barbara) taught the kids how to play duck, duck, chicken. I don’t think I’ve ever felt like such a target… or heard the word “poule” combined with a pat on the head so much. But it was wonderful. Second only to the children’s contagious laughter.

As I’m typing this, I’m up on the roof of the Mission House with most of the team looking out across the fields and mountains of Haiti. Beautiful. Majestic. And a testimony to our gracious Creator. Bondye.

P.S. Mom, Dad says “hi.”

1 comment: