Life verse

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my
power is made perfect in weakness"
... For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Monday, October 14, 2013

everything's bigger when it's OU/TX

This weekend was one of firsts.

First trip to Texas...

First time at a state fair...

First OU/TX weekend...

First college weekend away...

Friday afternoon, Brandy, Lauren (no, not me), and I (yes, this is me) set off for Dallas, Texas. Of course, we had to stop right across the border. Ironically, a couple on motorcycles had the same idea, so we were able to do a whole photo-op.
First time on Texas soil
After spending the better part of an hour stuck in football traffic, we arrived safe and sound at the Courtyard Marriott. (Thanks, Brandy!) Exploring Dallas was the only thing on our agenda Friday evening, so we set out to learn the ways of the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) train with hopes that we wouldn't get lost on Gameday. We were at least almost successful in this respect. We found a Fuzzy's for dinner, think mix between Salsa's and Mi Rancho for my Aikenites reading this. We toured some of the downtown Dallas area and found a neighborhood with streets named after Disney characters (ahhh!!) before heading back to the hotel where we spent the night watching TV and writing a book. Okay, technically they did the TV watching and I did the book writing, but it's all good. Staying up way past our bedtime resulted in some fairly humorous stories and pictures. Such good times.
Our backwards Oreo (Caption credit: Brandy)
Saturday brought many learning experiences to the three of us. First, Brandy and Lauren learned that I really can sleep through just about anything, as it took half an hour with the TV, lights, and shower on before I moved. Brandy said she waiting me out, because she was afraid to try to wake me up. I may or may not have told her a while back about the time I punched Drew when he woke me up one night so that I could move from the sofa to my bed. (Sorry again, Drew.)

I learned that everything truly is bigger in Texas, especially creepy statues like Big Tex. As if the fact that he's 20 stories tall isn't enough, his mouth moves so that he can talk. Ah, yes, awkward. On the plus side, he makes a great "meet here if we get separated place." The only problem is that he is that place for every. single. group. there. Good thing we didn't get separated.
I learned that great stuff happens on the sidelines before a football game. Because I was one of the 35 students in charge of running the Oklahoma flag onto the field prior to the game, I got to hang out on the sidelines pre-game. While the stadium gradually filled with fans for both teams, I took lots and lots of pictures. Oh, and I did get to meet AT&T's Fan Coach. Definitely one of my finer moments.
Sidelines, pre-game

Greg and Samantha Ponder have nothing on me now. ;)
I think it's fairly safe to say that all of Oklahoma learned that pride goes before the fall and that trash talking prior to a big rivalry football is not necessarily the best idea anyone has ever had. After a less than stellar performance by our football team, OU's side of the stadium suddenly seemed a lot roomier in the fourth quarter. But being the hardcore fans that we are, we stuck it out to the very. last. second.
"Are you sure you want a picture to help you remember this?"
- anonymous fan
The last thing I learned is that Oklahoma fans greatly hate Texas... and their football team... and their mascot. I thought the Clemson/Carolina hatred from South Carolina was bad, but this one might just have topped that. However, their hatred could not deter me from adding another mascot picture to my collection. Thanks, Mr. Cow, uhh, I mean Longhorn.
yes, that's two finger I'm holding up
...and hopefully those won't be the lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment